I have done the most travel that I have ever done before, been pushed to my limits and have been embarked on some really cool adventures, internally and externally. I mean it hasn’t been all butterflies and rainbows, some of 2018 was not so lekker. Here I am reflecting on 2018 – here are some highlights of each month.
- Started the year off with a hike. The goal was to hike every month. Although we couldn’t hike each and every month it’s nice to know we started off strong.
- The other highlight of the month was watching Angus and Julia Stone.
- This year, I had entered my first bartending competition with Havana and had found out that I was one of the finalist that were chosen to compete in Cape Town
- This month with Molecular, instead of the usual clink clink shake shake of a cocktail, I had with the help of some friends made 3000 lollipops.
- During the month, I had also seen my grandmother who is an absolute gem and honestly the love of my life. She’s inspired my love for baking and cooking.
- Binnelanders was hosted at the oh so fancy Wits Sports grounds. Lots of hard work and effort was put into the prep as well as the coaching of the team and in the end it all came together.
- Can’t mention the Voodoo Kudus once (which are now known as Wits Ultimate Frisbee). We got in a bus in some flashy new kit and played at Mixed Nationals at Rhodes University.
- The girls and I packed our bags and headed off to Cape Town for a much needed girls trip. Although we locked ourselves out of the apartment and almost died at sea, I wouldn’t have changed a single thing about this trip
- I had won my first ever bartender competition nationally (in South Africa) in the Bartender Talent Academy with Remy Martin. It was such a lovely day – my friends came to support me and my boss’ were quite chuffed.
- My cousin had her second child and I couldn’t have been happier for her. The baby is super cute and of course has all the sass.
- I was fortunate enough to have been chosen by Caitlin Hill to be part of the #BeTheBotanist experience. This meant that bartenders and restaurant owners from across the nation would come together to learn about all things Botanist and foraging. It was such a heart-warming experience
- Crazy enough I completed my first 10km run with FNB and damn was I chuffed with myself. My time wasn’t too bad I think and was just happy I did more running than walking. Hopefully there’s more this year.
- Went to compete in global in France for the Bartender Talent Academy. What a magical trip this was. Although a competition, I feel like I walked out there more aware of the efforts and crafts goes in a bottle of Remy Martin and Louis XII.
- Packed my bags straight after exams to jet set of to America. Such a calming and relaxing trip. It was so lovely to see the loves and to adventure off and learn a whole more about America and Americans. This time I had visited Oregon and Washington State.
- Got to spend my month with the family, my intermediate family, my bartender family, some of my best friends who feel like family and so much more. It was lovely to see some and wish I had seen so many more people
- Then had a frienvdcation and stayed with some friends in Port Elizabeth. Fun times with the amigos – and saw Spongebob’s House.
Reflecting on 2018 has been amazing spectacular. Much like all of you I was happy that the year ended but after reflecting I feel better and so grateful for all my friends and family.