Get some pen and paper and start jotting down on some cool things that you got up to this year and begin reflecting on 2019.
- This month I had spent a lot time with friends, catching up and getting my body back in the gym. I really love the friends that I have in my life – those that I see everyday and those that I see on the odd occasion.
- Started a fitness journey with Monique Lopez. Which was super exciting start to the year. I met her as well which I didn’t think would happen. She opened my eyes to Switch playground and changed my mindset about how I view the gym and diets. I focused more on getting stronger and fuelling my body rather than trying to lose weight and restricting what I ate.
- This was a very exciting month for both work and myself. I was nominated for Best New Comer of the Year 2019 – and was invited to attend BAR Awards whilst Molecular Bars were nominated for Best Mobile bar of the Year. Both of us (work and myself) won in our categories and I won along another female contender Alecs. #girlpower
- Markets, cocktails and outings practically sum up this month. I made some delicious cookies for Easter weekend and of course they were bunny shaped
- I got to meet the stunner and babe – who is Max from SugarFreeSundays. She was super bubbly and fun person to be around. She was keen to meet everyone and is just straight up a weirdo (but the good kind). She demonstrated how to make some of her MacroMixes as well as set up this delicious platter for us to eat.
- I went to a new place called Almost Orange for a friends birthday. This place was simply magical and definitely want to make another trip there! It was a scenic a beautiful restaurant that is surrounded by orange trees. You may come here for wine and their delicious tapas.
- Super proud of my best friend who conducted a Beefeater dinner with Brik Cafe. All meals and cocktails were perfectly paired and simply delicious. The drinks were too die for and to watch every step of the way of planning and the execution was a super cool “proud mom” moment.
- Super sad to have said goodbye to one of my best friends since I’ve known from primary school (Grade R vibe) who was jetting setting off to New York. We enjoyed some drinks and pizza, laughs and cries in whilst saying goodbye to her. We were leaving for USA for the same day but unfortunately we had different time so we couldn’t see each other at the airport – so I was very thankful for farewell to spend some last few moments with her! Buuuut we saw each other 6 months later so that was cool haha.
- Made a sneaky trip to the states for my very first time in summer. Absolutely loved the weather, just hated how many people were there lol.
- Women’s Month. A time to celebrate strength and hardships that all women (and especially those of colour) face each and every single day. From unequal pay, to sexual harassment, from pink tax to having your no being challengeed. My work had decided to celebrate the growth of women in the industry by making a feature about us all – from managers to bartenders
- I was part of a magical experience with Remy Martin and got to mentor the bartenders that were hand selected to be part of the competition. Alex and I spoke about our journeys in the competition, France and gave advice on how to win the competition. It was truly a magical time to spend much needed time with the industry and reflect about my journey with Remy Martin and Cognac (the city)
- Made some eclairs for the first time. They turned out super yum and definitely going to try perfect this recipe.
- I was part of a protest that had brought awareness to the gender based violence in South Africa. The death of UCT student, made it seem as though being a women was such a scary thing to be in this day and age and brought awareness to how places such as the post offices are not safe. May all the those who lost their lives to gender based violence rest in peace.
- The Royal family came to South Africa and did I not see Megan and Harry LIVE!!. I don’t usually follow the drama of Royals but them coming to SA was kinda cool and we got to bartend at event that they were present at.
- Also celebrated some birthdays! Haven’t seen this girl gang together in a long time and this is the reason why I love birthdays so much!
- I got the honour and privilege of tasting Craigellachie 51 year. Such a lovely experience and was completely taken aback from the story of the bottles and how they whiskey tasted. The thing behind this campaign is that they had 51 bottles of 51 year old Craigellachie and didn’t want these bottles to be sold off for ridiculous amounts of money to be never tasted. So they took these 51 bottles around the world to major cities and invited whiskey lovers to taste and enjoy the experience.
- This girl found out that she was graduating and was I completely proud and happy for myself. Its my birthday month, I definitely enjoyed two slices of cake and then went to the gym afterwards because balance. This month is the month of family and was super happy about spending some time with them all for all the celebrations and loves.
- My best friend and I got on a plane to visit one of my other friends in America – IN New NEW YORK!
Reflecting on 2019 has been a good one for me especially since we are currently in a global pandemic. Scary times but just try and see the liver lining.