“Yea I’m out that Brooklyn, now I’m down in Tribeca” – Jay Z
Visiting a friend is always a lovely thing to do. It was definitely easier when she lived a couple of suburbs away and not in another continent. So, my friend Jodi and I decided to get on a plane visit New York and do all the tourist and not so tourist things. This trip was definitely needed and many laughs were shared and money well ( well?) spent. So these are the places we went to whilst on the trip. There are so many things to do in New York and I have broken it down in to two groups – places and food.
Places to visit:
- Grand Central Train Station: As pretty and full as shown in movies and television. Strangely enough there is also an iStore in this place which makes it even more crowded and I honestly thought was strangely odd odd – lets get an iPhone while we wait for the train? This place is constantly buzzing and so many photos being taken.
- Central Park: This was so lovely and so lovely we got to capture such a wonderful photo with my best friends. Its actually a lot bigger than it looks and we didn’t make quite around the trip the whole park. There was a wedding, people playing music and giant bubbles being made, and babies having photoshoots with matching outfits with their mothers.
- Brooklyn Bridge: Brooklyn Bridge is one of those things that you have to do whilst in New York. Although I didn’t walk it due to random closures and its being super cold, I did get the candid photo of the bridge.
- China Town: This place is fast paced and a lovely place to be. We stumbled upon ice cream shops, many bubble tea places and the smells of delicious food. There are many little shops that you can visit and authentic and delicious stuff to try.
- Color Museum: An experience I think everyone should definitely try out. Each room either has a taste, visual or sensory experience. You learn about colour and try tap into your creative side. Each room was met with a different experience using your senses. They force you to be creative in the most unusual way.
- Time Square: Are you even in NY city if you haven’t been to Times Square and had Alicia Keys singing in your head the entire time.
- Bryant Park: Visiting Bryant Park in December is very festive. This was when the Christmas market was present. This was the cutest thing and there was a giant Christmas tree, ice rink and many markets. I dived into one of them and got a super cute space case.
With all the things to do in New York, you will work up an appetite – and so here some food suggestions.
- Milk: Christina Tosi, is the creator of cereal milk flavoured ice cream and “crack” pie. These were absolutely delicious and yoh definitely should’ve got more. I had gotten a the crack pie and the ice cream whilst my friend bragged about how good the truffles were.
- Pietro Nolita: Saw this come up a couple of times on Pinterest and decided that whilst in Soho we should definitely visit the place that is “PinkAsFuck” This tiny bar and restaurant was very very tiny but served some delicious pasta and a yummy cocktail.
- S’Mac This is a shop dedicated only to Mac and Cheese. There are many different from flavours from plain old style Mac and Cheese, to different ones with all sorts of cheese and stuff. You can get it in all different size. It was a super yummy cheesy dish that delivered in flavour and nostalgia.
- Beauty Bar: This was a schnazzy beauty bar that was started in the olden days (of I don’t know when) that did hair and nails – and was recently turned into a bar. Now a days is a bar where you sing all the golden oldies and may enjoy a cocktail whilst getting your nails done. There are an interesting bunch of people that enter this place and we definitely heard many stories and laughed till we thought we had abs.
- TimeOutMarket: This market is fit for any mood and any whether. his market had different offers than Portugal and I had opted to get the Ramen which was exactly what the doctor ordered considering it was like 4 degrees outside.
New York is known as the big apple and on a student student can be expensive. Here are a list of things to do in New York that are super fun, tasty and leave you satisfied.