I love me a good spannie – the flakey pastry and the perfect balance between the saltiness of feta and the subtle flavour of spinach is such a flavour bomb in your mouth. This is by no means the traditional way of making them as most recipes call for egg, pine nuts and so forth and so I provide you with the simplest, quickest and easiest foundation and you can take it from here adding your own deliciousness and flavour flavour.
So I honestly believe that some pastry is harder to make harder than others and phyllo party is definitely one of the harder ones so yes I bought the phyllo pastry and you can too! So with that disclaimer out of the way, here is the ingredients and how to make this very very simple snacky snack.
This recipe makes 6 full spannies.
- 4 sheets of phyllo pastry
- 300g packet of baby spinach
- 1/2 red onion (white onion is also acceptable)
- A glug of olive oil (roughly 2 tablespoons of olive oil)
- 1 teaspoon garlic
- 150g +- danish Feta
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/8 cup of butter
- Sesame seeds for sprinkling.
- In a large pan, fry up your onions with your olive oil until translucent. Add the garlic into the pan cook until fragrant.
- Add your spinach to the pan and cook until wilted and soft (season with salt until desired taste)
- Spoon the mixture into a medium sized saucepan and put to the side to cool down.
- Prepare the dough and pre-heat your oven at 180 degrees.
- Melt the butter in the microwave. Using a brush, take one sheet of phyllo pastry and brush the first sheet with the butter.
- Place another layer of phyllo sheet on top of the buttered phyllo pastry and brush this sheet of pastry with butter. After which cut your phyllo pastry into quarters (length ways)
- Place roughly 1 tablespoon +- of your mixture on to the phyllo pastry and break up the desired amounts of feta into a triangle shape in to the bottom left of your pieces of cut phyllo pastry.
- Fold your pastry by folding one corner to form a triangle and continue folding the triangle upon itself, until the entire piece of phyllo is used. Continue with the rest phyllo sheets and filling. (See photos for direction)
- Brush with olive oil and sprinkle on some sesame seeds on to the triangle and place on to a lightly oiled sheet pan. (alternatively you may use butter but olive makes it nice and flakey)
If you don’t apply the sprinkles like the salt bae meme, I would be somewhat disappointed. Enjoy these spanakopita/spannies with a JustShort cocktail, some wine and hopefully with some good company.